From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:26:22 -0400
When comparing the cost of MAQS to Mite Wipes/Dri-loc/Formic how is
everyone equivocating the cost?   1 2-strip MAQS treatment to 4 mite wipes?
 1 strip of MAQS to 1 mite wipe? 2 strips of MAQS to 4 mite wipes? Are you
factoring in the labour to prep it and extra trips to the yard?

MAQS isn't perfect, but here are few things that I like about it:

1) No prep - I can bring it with me to the yard, do my alcohol washes and
treat right there and then - no second, third or fourth trip required
2) Approved for use with supers on - even with spring treatment, mites are
often >3% in early August, with fall flow here he generally have supers on
until early September - that's too late to be starting treatment
3) Not unpleasant to apply - despite the warning, unless you leave it out
in the sun it really doesn't emit fumes to warrant wearing a vapour mask.
Rubber gloves is fine, or I often just use the package as a barrier between
by beekeeping gloves and the pad.  None of the concerns associated with
splashing etc
4) Flexible - can apply a single strip or two strips in sequence or two
strips at once.  I have found little to no brood loss and few queen issues
with a single strip at broad range of temperatures.  2 strips 10-14 days
apart is fine as well.  2 strips at once can be dicey, especially at the
top of the temperature range.  I run mostly singles and would never apply a
2 strip treatment without at least one super on.

What I don't like:

1) Efficacy does seem to vary - it seems work better when mites are in the
2-5% range, higher levels can tougher to bring down - especially using a
single strip.
2) Short expiry date
3) Queen loss, not as big an issue as some make it out to be (i think a lot
goes back to temperature abused or expired product), but still an issue
(3-5% loss - mostly failed/interrupted supercedure)

Adam
Barrie, ON