HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Hugh Matternes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:18:41 -0400
Ed:

 I am not familiar with the use of hexagonal vaults that extend from the ground’s surface, but here in the southeast (and likely elsewhere) hexagonal forms are relatively common components of the two-stage or ‘vaulted’ grave form.

 In short, a rectangular shaft is dug to a given depth, the floor leveled and a secondary chamber is dug into the floor to enclose the receptacle (coffin or casket).  This second chamber is commonly cut more to less to the size and shape of the receptacle.  Hexagonal secondary vaults typically contain hexagonal coffins.  The second chamber is covered with planking and the rectangular vault is backfilled, sealing the chamber.  Good visual examples of this can be found in the report downloadable at  http://www.avondaleburialplace.org/ (Go to ‘News’ then ‘Report’ for downloads).

 The earliest reference I have of the use of the hexagonal form in the two-stage vault is circa 1800-1830s from the Cool Branch Cemetery (40HK9) in Tennessee.  Very common in 19th century rural/folk cemeteries and it at least a few urban settings (Oakland Cemetery [Atlanta] being a good example of this).  Use seems to die out with the transition between hand-dug and mechanically dug graves.  Davidson (see below) demonstrates that they have African/African-American origins, but they are very common in both African-American and Anglo-American settings.

 For more on the two-stage vault see James Davidson’s “They Laid Planks Crost the Coffins” The African Origin of Vaulting in the United States.  (2012) International Journal of Historical Archaeology 16(1):86-134.

 Hope this helps!

 matt

Hugh B. "Matt" Matternes, PhD, RPA|Principal Investigator and Senior Mortuary Archaeologist
New South Associates, Inc.
A Women-Owned Small Business
6150 East Ponce de Leon Avenue, Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Office: (770) 498-4155 Ext. 114
Website // Facebook // LinkedIn