From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2016 06:30:47 -0400
Hi Ruth and All

When SHB first entered Ontario in 2010 i thought that this would be
the the last straw for me.  OMAFRA put a quarantine zone in place in
SW Ontario near Windsor.  At that time I used screened bottom boards
open to the ground for varroa and looked at the various traps being
used in the US.  The Freeman trap was recommended by several people on
line so I checked into its design.  As it was very similar to my SBB,
I incorporated Freeman's features into mine and built several.

We still don't have SHB here but they have crossed at Niagara and are
less than 100 miles from me. Dr Keith Delaplane spoke at the Ontario
Beekeepers Assoc AGM last November about SHB.  I asked him, in the Q&A
session, about SBB open to the ground, which he called SHB breeding
farms,  then I added with full size oil trays under the screen, which
he called a fantastic idea for trapping adult beetles and even better
for larvae leaving to pupate.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada