Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 09:46:19 -0500
Good morning, Peter -

I ceased the use of fumagillin a number of years ago after hearing a panel discussion at a state bee meeting where the experts expressed concerns about its effectiveness in dealing with nosema ceranae and that fumagillin was a broad spectrum microbicide attacking the desirable gut organisms, also.  I have seen little indication (spotting on hives) of nosema and have found only low microscopic evidence of nosema spores (using the technique taught in the UMT course).  The bottom line is that nosema has left my apicultural radar.  Perhaps I am just lucky, but I intend to stay the course until a need arises.

In your quoted material they say, " The colony's self-healing power can be supported and an outbreak of Nosema can be avoided by simple beekeeping measures."  I am curious about the simple beekeeping measures.  Is there a best practices that deals with preventing or dealing with nosema?  I also wonder about the methods of supporting the bee's self-healing powers.  I would be happy to hear more discussion about that.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL