Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2017 11:24:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
> you chose to simple refute  based on someone else's old work.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, it isn't "someone else's old work," it is work done by a world famous bee researcher, teacher and author of one of the best books on beekeeping, in its fourth edition. Also, many other researchers have worked on this, I know of a half a different dozen sources. 

But the idea that the work is "old" is not relevant. Bee behavior is millions of years old; hasn't changed measurably. The hive bees will attack and kill a foreign queen most of the time. 

The technique of introducing queen cells into the super is at least 30 years old. During a heavy honey flow, it might even work. But would I buy a thousand queen cells and do this with them? Hardly. 

Back when I was producing thousands of queen cells, somebody offered to buy as many as I could produce for 25 cents each. The going rate then was $2.00. If he thought it would work, why did he want them marked down so much? (I wouldn't them sell at that price). 

Finally, I once asked Tom Seeley whether he thought putting a cell in the super would result in her becoming the queen of that hive. He said, not often enough to make it worth while, or words to that effect.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2