Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:28:49 -0600
I have been using a Jabsco honey pump powered by a Boston Gear Works worm
gear speed reducer for about thirty years. It has a rubber impeller which
deflects if the honey is too cold and acts as an automatic pressure release.
We don't often have trouble with cold or granulated honey in the pipes
because we try to keep the area at 85 deg. F during the extracting season.

One problem occurs on the suction side of the pump.  Although the pump will
drive cold honey through the pipe, it will not suck it in easily.  This
causes a high vacuum in the intake line and pulls air in through any loose
fittings. This makes the honey cloudy.

This year we tried a new ( to us) way of clearing the delivery hoses of
honey before putting the operation to bed for the winter. I made a small
cylinder with rounded ends the same diameter as the interior of the hose.
(They call this a pig in the oil industry ). I stuck it in the hose at the
pump outlet and applied air pressure to the hose. The pig goes through the
hose sweeping all the honey in the hose out the other end. It worked this
time leaving the hose quite clean.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken