From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:49:06 -0400
>However, again, after my washes yesterday, I am coming up with 3-4 mites
per 100 bees and that is the same I found in these hives after the first
round of treatments.. . . Somehow, some way, I am not knocking the mite
levels down and I'm sure I have sealed the hives properly, and left them
closed up for 10 minutes. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Is this over multiple areas?

The last round I did of OA Vapor on my hives, mid summer when I did splits,
showed a very low efficacy rate of hives with screened bottom boards. Solid
bottom boards fared significantly better.

Of the ones on solid bottom boards, one hive didn't recover (I waited too
long to treat and it got out of control), and one yard (of two test hives)
appeared unphased by the OA treatments. The other 5 yards all had similar
reductions in mite counts, when doing three OA Vapor treatments spread out
over 3 weeks. The one yard that didn't respond well had just as many mites
per bee as pre-treatment testing showed. My guess was I had some crashing
hives in the area and an influx of mites. Could be wrong, but the location
was the only thing that was different.