From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:33:47 -0800
a Mr Charles Linder snip
That is a common misconception,  there are many areas of bee flight that are people and pesticide free.  One just needs to look a bit. Simple ones close to me,  Shawnee national forest,  Mark twain. Or Danielle Boone forest are close, and much of the Ozarks.  Many states would have huge tracts like that, one just need to look a bit.

My comment...

Returning to my prior point which is.. Research is most often easier to talk about than to do.  A closely associated point imho is that research is easier to critique than to do properly.  Quite often,in my limited experience, what we are doing here (I hope?) is brain storming which is a collective effort to make reseach more robust but likely never immume to critical discussion.

I did Google Earth the above locations that Charles suggested and would somewhat agree that these could be potential sites with minimum pesticide contamination.  However I would also agree with Jerry that chemical contamination is (or at least the data suggest) in many places one might not expect. One large plus of the sites suggested by Charles is since these are national parks there may also be extensive data collected on water quality and this existing data would give you some idea of not only the level of containtion but also the kinds of contamination. I do suspect finding some acceptable site would require a bit more effort that just looking around.

As to Randys comments (ie in a bit later commment).... Dr Rangle obtained the pure beeswax in a block from Africa and it arrived with some lab documentation as to purity.  For myself I would discriminate between wax in this form (raw wax not processed into foundation) and comb < I would guess the bees add some wax to the raw wax and this added wax might be either produced by the young bees or recycled from other places in the hive.