Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:50:07 -0400
7bit
From:
Scott Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
"and my question...
I would think what you burn in your smoker may have some impact on the net effect of smoking bees"

As part of the University on Montana Master Beekeeping program we required to perform a research study or research project.
I floated the idea of identifying the top 5 smoker fuels used in Vermont and Northern New Jersey and then burning them to identify the characteristics and particulates of the smoke.
I was curious to learn when smoking what we were actually putting in to the hives/bees.
Unfortunately I could not gain access to a lab in time for the class but would like to give it a go at some point.
However using Facebook and polling local clubs I was able to gain some idea on what lay folks are using for smoker fuel. Of 80 people responding to the highly unscientific poll.
In order:
Pine Needles 29%
Wood shaving/chips 16%
Burlap 15%
Twine 13%
Cardboard  10%

The balance was a mix of about 10 different products

Scott