From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2016 11:53:22 -0400
While it is difficult to measure the cognitive processes and "conscious
behavior" of bees, it has been well-known for some time that even humans are
a lot less "conscious" of our decisions than we are comfortable with
admitting:

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080411/full/news.2008.751.html
http://tinyurl.com/6kdcb8k

In short, what we call "conscious decision-making" seems to be nothing but a
thin veneer of rationalization to make us feel better about seems to be the
pure instinct that is actually making the choices much more rapidly than our
brain can possibly "choose".

This gets very touchy quickly, as concepts like "free will" start to look
pretty stupid under the cold unblinking eye of the real-time
electroencephalography and fMRI.

So, yes, we have awareness, but it only seems to be a method of coping, not
a method of superior decision-making!

Therefore, while I might offer an introspective and perhaps insightful
opinion on the cognitive abilities and conscious behavior of bees, I fear
that my views will be purely instinctive.  :)