From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 21:13:54 +0100
On 4/29/2016 4:39 PM, Scott Koppa wrote:

> It seems basic, but has a temperature trigger been disproved?

I would guess that if it were temperature then Mediterranean bees would
produce winter workers right through the summer when moved to certain
northern climes.   I wonder if the stimulus is something to do with the
equinox.  Sun worshippers are bound to notice day length.  Regarding the
life span of winter bees it might depend, to some extent, on the length
of the winter in the part of the world where the particular ecotype evolved.

Steve Rose
N. Wales (where the winters are long and wet)

---