From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:00:46 -0700
> >Well, frankly, I am not concerned about those areas.

Pete, since we're discussing the various hypotheses for the formation of
"winter bees," we can test those hypotheses by looking for examples in the
real world where the triggers can be adjusted.  Thus, areas of scant fall
pollen make for great test cases.

Mattila and Otis had a great experimental design for such a test, but
unfortunately, nature didn't cooperate, and flooded their hives with
pollen.  On the other hand, it is very easy to perform such a test in
California during drought years.

Kris, I observe the same race-to-race differences here.  One cool fall,
after rain initiated a bit of fall bloom, my Italian-type colonies were
cutting back on broodrearing and going into winter cluster.  At the same
time, my Russian colonies were madly ramping up broodrearing as though it
were early spring.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA