From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:03:02 -0400
I've seen fences in the Peace River of Canada that keep out bears and moose - who  get mad and charge electric fences, making them moot.  8' tall posts, a heavy wire mesh panel (what I'd call woven wire), bent outward at 90 degree at bottom so bears can't dig under, stapled to posts, with several feet of unsupport mesh standing vertically above the posts.  Bear tries to  climb, works until they reach the unsupported wire extending 3-4 ft above the posts.  The loose part swings outward with the weight of the animal, dumping the bear off.

Mike says it works for all animals, although he and his dad had the gate open on a yard one day while inside, harvesting honey.  Bear wandered past, saw the open gate, and wandered in to join them.

P.S.  Randy   Our grass grows fast in spring during our rainy season, then dries up and lays down as a mat.  Nullifies chicken wire as a ground unless you burn off the grass, and when it's dry enough to do that, it's also dry enough to set off prairie fires.