HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 19:05:09 -0700
Tim et al.:

Claudia and I are planning a project that DOES NOT involve a lot of
sanitation as it is ONLY field walking as per the UK *TIME TEAM* Programme
guidelines and we follow them rigorously. In these days of the* "Le
Peste CORONAVIRUS" (READ THE BOOK , WE ALL HAD TO AT BELOIT), * WE, as
Archaeologists, DO NOT NEED to abandon doing scientifically sound and safe
archaeological and ethnographic studies. We can use the ZOOM, BLACKBOARD,
SKYPE and other conferencing technologies for initial contact with vetted
participants and continuous sterilization safeguards for tools and
instruments  (i.e. plastic shaft colored pin flags are taken by gloved
hands from a bucket full of disinfectant) by each participating ONLY used
by that participant).

Basically, you pick projects that are NOT remote and use students and
Supervisors that come in their own vehicles AND are vetted by having
sanItized gloves and masks, having NO SYMPTOMS and HAVE WRITTEN AND
SANITIZED EVIDENCE OF BEEN TESTED AS HAVING THE ANTIBODIES AGAINST
COVID-19.

Then,at the site You just have to:

1. When setting up the initial "Rally Points" in the field, the parallel
distance spacing of the Class I transect lines needs to be 10ft. or 3m
participant is no part so that zig-zag motions of the field walking
participant is no closer than the 6' standard.  If clusters or artifacts of
differing types are found that need more pin flags, the participant will
return to the sanitized bucket to get them.

2. As nearly everyone has phones with photo-taking capabilities, USE them
to give the position and images of the artifact(s) encountered.  Data on
the type of artifact can be entered into most phones and tablets OR, just
call over a Supervisor and back 6' away for identification help or to place
the correct pin flag.  DO NOT TOUCH the artifact without being gloved.
LEAVE THE ARTIFACT IN PLACE with the color-coded pin flag clearly visible.
IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO MOVE THE ARTIFACT, ONLY TO FIND IT, RECORD ITS
APPROXIMATE LOCATION RELATIVE TO YOUR ASSIGNED TRANSECT LINE AND
APPROXIMATE PACING ALONG THAT LINE FROM THE 0, START POINT.

3. The TOTAL STATION instrument personnel JUST needed to plot pin flags and
the ping flag colors and to ONLY work with their instrument and have plenty
of supplies (batteries, rain covers, extra pin flags, field books, loud
hailers, etc.) to direct the field surveys like a director would direct a
film shoot.

4. After all of the surveyed lines are completed, the pin flags placed,
vetted and gloved supervisors will go to each pin flag and check the
notations in the field books for accuracy of location and descriptive pin
flag (i.e. ceramic ORANGE vs lithic GREEN etc.) against the Total Stations
plots and take any photos that need to be taken for identification.

5. AFTER the "Le Peste" has past and there complete "all clear" given by
authorities the site will be video documented a high vantage point from a
high location showing the general aerial.distribution of the various
flagged artifacts.

6. THEN and ONLY then will the artifacts be recovered by gloved Supervisory
personnel and placed n sterilized and GPS labeled bags for further
laboratory analyses. AND the pin flags returned to the solution bucket for
disinfecting

Our two cents from work with possible Hantavirus sites in a Cemetary in
Nevada in 2002 and what we plan to do on a buried Native American and
Chinese Townsite in May..

Rich & Claudia Lundin

Wondjina Research Institute
Confidence House