HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Garst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:19:40 -0500
Hello all:
Here at the Kansas Historical Society we are trying to establish
guidelines for collecting and storing live ammunition that comes to
light during excavations.  Do we record it, but leave it in the field?
Send it into lab, and then send it off to be made safe? Send it into the
lab where it is kept in perpetuity?  We find everything from last fall's
12 gauge to Civil War munitions or slightly earlier in Kansas.  Do any
of your institutions/businesses have a standardized policy on the
handling of "live" ammunition, and if so would you be willing to share
that information?

Chris Garst
Archeologist
Kansas Historical Society