HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 14:39:56 -0400
Linda Hylkema’s question on when “the use of gold banding begins being used
on refined earthen wares” has been answered by Silas Hurry’s reference to
“Bright Gold” gilding in my article “Telling Time for Archaeologists” in
Volume 29 of *Northeast Historical Archaeology*, page 1-22.  There is an
expanded discussion of bright gold gilding in my article “A Revised Set of
CC Index Values for Classification and Economic Scaling of English Ceramics
from 1787 to 1880” *Historical Archaeology *1991 Vol. 25, No. 1:10.

Robert Copeland’s book *Manufacturing Processes of Tableware during the
Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries* published in 2009 by the Northern
Ceramic Society has very useful descriptions and illustrations of the
various manufacturing processes in the Staffordshire potteries.  Chapter
23, titled “Gold, Gilding and Lustres” has an excellent description of the
older gilding processes that involved gold and mercury that was used up
until the 1960s.  This gilding had to be burnished with a “blood stone” or
agate.  Gilders were a group of workers and this was restricted to the
high-end ceramics.  Robert also includes a history of the development of
bright gold gilding that reduced the cost of gilding and led to its
expanded use on cheap earthenware.  Gilding became common from the 1870s
and are still used extensively today on cheap ceramics.

Peace,

George L. Miller