HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
michael gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:48:39 -0500
Greetings All,

Yesterday as the Camp Douglas Restoration Foundation was ending its summer
investigation of Civil War-era Camp Douglas in Chicago, an approximate 1
inch grommet was recovered from what we believe to be a feature associated
with the camp's POW compound area. Adhering to the back of the grommet is a
small piece of black, textured material that appears to be rubber.

We think the grommet may be from a rubberized blanket of the time, but
don't know how to test the small (about 1/5 the size of the grommet) piece
of material to determine if it is rubber.

Does anyone know a quick, cheap way of testing the material to determine if
it is in fact rubber?

my  best,

mike

michael m. gregory, phd