From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:31:11 -0700
I'll see what I can do Christina : )

I'm currently working with Eyal, and recently spent time with another
expert in the field.  This is not about human selective breeding or GMOs,
but rather about what occurs in nature.

> 2. Via the jelly (either via protein priming or RNAi for viruses).
> Can this be done by conventional breeding techniques?

Not sure--the virgin queens typically emerge in new colonies, so it would
need to occur at the population level.

> 3. Via Vg protein priming in the egg (the recent study that Bill referred
> to, perhaps limited to bacteria).
> Thus, not helpful in thinking about how to make viruses less virulent.

Correct, was about bacteria.

> 4. Via the endosymbiotic gut bacteria involved in immune response.
> So this isn't about breeding bees, either, is it....more about probiotics?

I'm not yet sold on probiotics.  I'd rather breed a population of bees that
favors favorable gut bacteria.

> 5. And of course epigenetic up regulation of existing portions of the
> genome.
> --Does breeding for epigenetic upregulation of specific portions of the
> genome last once the bees leave a location?  As Charles pointed out,
> "resistant bees" often lose resistance once they are moved.

I observe the same.  And the recent Coloss study also found the same loss
of benefit.  I strongly support breeding locally-adapted populations.  I'm
much more positive about this than is my good friend Pete, and feel that I
also have Mom Nature on my side : )
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA