From:
James McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:01:11 -0500
I have been using the SBB (slatted bottom board) since I started keeping
bees 8 years ago and now have about 45 regular hives and keep 10 - 20 nucs
for raising my own queens. I now also use a full screened bottom board also
mainly for summer ventilation. My hives beard very little and when it
rains, my bees have a place to get in out of the rain. When it is hot, you
can hear them fanning while standing inside on the screened bottom board.
Never had burr comb or anything else build up between the bottom of the
frames and the bottom board with the SBB between the two. The cool thing
about the screened bottom board, all the debris fall through the SBB and
the screen onto the ground. If you don't like the screened board, just keep
the blocking panel in the bottom board and use it to clean the bottom board
per say. You would be amazed at the amount of trash is in the bottom. Just
slide the board out and clean out say the bottom board. Hive beetle larva
can live in this trash, so I slide mine out and clean them on a regular
basis when I have them in.