From:
Jason Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:55:46 -0400
Alas... FLOW got so much traction because we're a gimmicky society. It's clever, and the creators seem like nice people... but making non-beeks think getting this setup and slapping bees into it will guarantee them
honey is he real crime.

It's not right for me personally because harvesting honey is a
fun part of beekeeping! The act of robbing, and extracting honey
is what I remember as a kid helping my dad and it's what drew me back into the bees in 2009. I also *want* the wax cappings to make candles, skin cream
and other products from the hive.

If the bees swarm, (from the new keeper not looking in the hive to
make sure there is room for expansion) there goes the honey gatherers.
Then, September comes along and they notice there is a honey supply.
Goody! Open the gates and drain it out. Whoops... there goes the winter
stores!

Beekeeping requires looking in your hive, managing mites, checking to
make sure the queen is there and in good health. My biggest concern is one of serious detriment to
 the bees. The product is being marketed to
people who may otherwise have no desire to keep bees.

Sure beekeepers can benefit from it... but the product
is not in that much demand for beekeeping operations that would need to
re-think the way they do their business. These numbers on Indiegogo are from people
really thinking they can put bees in these hives, and not think much
more about it until it's honey-time.

I have some friends who bought some FLOW frames... and I have encouraged them to join a club, take a class or read a book. Preferably all of the above.  They need to know
about beekeeping before turning the tap to the Flow hive... or any other
 bee hive.

Jason
SE Indiana