From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:43:23 -0400
>           Compare this to gains in other livestock. Production per cow in the United States averaged about 5,000 pounds per cow in 1925 to 22,000 pounds per cow in 2012. Much of this is attributable to breeding.

I used to keep dairy cattle and I would add that the difference
between the best and worst cows production was nowhere near as great
as the difference between the best and worst hives in a yard.  So one
would think the opportunity for breeding success would be there to
exploit.  But cows are mostly artificially inseminated and production
quuens are not easily mating controlled.

stan