From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:46:12 -0400

> >The mites already prefer drone comb because the cells are bigger and the
> develop time is longer.

I don't think this is true.

> >Last I knew we didn't know about the selection criteria?  Knowing how the
> mites select drones over workers would seem to be a valuable key.  If we
> did we could in theory bait them.

Peter Teal, Adrian Duehl and Mark Carroll appear to to have determined that
the varroa's selection of larvae has little preference on the size of the
cell, and instead as to do with pheromones produced by the brood
themselves, with drones producing more of the particularly attractant
pheromones than worker brood, and older combs having more of the compound
than newer combs. They used this evidence to create a "bait" for varroa,
and received a patent on it. I understand they tried to use the "bait" in a
"trap" but were unsuccessful. I've tried my darndest to get any information
on what type of "trap" they developed, but Peter passed away, Mark is too
busy to take the time to talk with me, and Adrian moved into private work
since submitting the patent application, and I haven't been able to get
ahold of him to discuss it.