From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:31:21 -0500
Looks like we haven't discussed Crithidia in a few years, it's back on the microscope:

Trypanosomatids are increasingly recognized as prevalent in European honey bees (Apis mellifera) and by default are attributed to one recognized species, Crithidia mellificae Langridge and McGhee, 1967.

Microscopy images show motile forms of C. mellificae are distinct from strains BRL/SF. We propose the binomial Lotmaria passim n. gen., n. sp. for this previously undescribed taxon.

Our findings require that previous reports of C. mellificae be reconsidered and that subsequent trypanosomatid species designations from Hymenoptera provide genetic support.

from Abstract of Schwarz et al.---New Species Description of Trypanosomatid from A. mellifera

Additionally, they write:

> This study was spurred by a recognized need to contrast recent trypanosomatid isolates from honey bees to type strain species of C. mellificae (Evans and Schwarz 2011), with building evidence provided by a study that contrasted healthy versus diseased colonies and identified trypanosomatid sequences as highly divergent from C. mellificae strain 30254 (Cornman et al. 2012). This study further fueled interest with the finding these were the most prevalent non-viral parasites in honey bee colonies.

> Type species: Lotmaria passim. The genus is named in honor of microbiologist and honey bee expert Ruth Lotmar,
who produced extremely detailed reports of trypanosomatids from Hymenoptera in the middle of the 20th century.