HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wallman, Diane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 01:59:34 +0000
Hi Megan,

Apologies for double posting some of these, but below is a reference bibliography of the reference and general zooarch books I keep on hand in my lab (might be helpful to others as well!)

Amorosi, T.
1989    A postcranial guide to domestic neo-natal and juvenile mammals. The identification         and ageing of Old World species. British Archaeological Reports, International Series          533. Oxford (p.58-9)]

Beisaw, April M.
2013 Identifying and Interpreting Animal Bones: A Manual. Texas A&M University Press

Claassen, Cheryl
1998    Shells.  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Gilbert, B. Miles
1990    Mammalian Osteology. Springfield: Missouri Archaeological Society.

Gilbert, B Miles, Larry D. Martin and Howard G. Savage
1981    Avian Osteology.  Laramie
.
Grayson, Donald K.
1984    Quantitative Zooarchaeology.  Orlando: Academic Press

Hesse, Brian and P. Wapnish.
1985    Animal Bone Archeology: From Objectives to Analysis. Washington, D.C.:            Taraxacum

Hillson, S.
1992    Mammal Bones & Teeth: An Introductory Guide to Methods of Identification.      London: University College of London

      1996    Teeth.
New York: Cambridge University Press.

Lyman, R. L.
      1994    Vertebrate Taphonomy. New York: Cambridge University Press.

2008    Lyman Quantitative Paleozoology.  NewYork: Cambridge University Press.

Olsen, Stanley J.
1968    Fish, Amphibian and Reptile Remains from Archaeological Sites: Part I:  Southeastern and         Southwestern United States, Appendix:The Osteology of the Wild         Turkey. Cambridge:
Peabody Museum, Harvard University.

2004    Mammal Remains From Archaeological Sites: Part I – Southeastern and
            Southwestern United States.  Cambridge: Peabody Museum, Harvard University.

O’Connor, Terry
2000   The Archaeology of Animal Bones.  College Station: Texas A&M University
Press.

Schmid, Elisabeth
1972    Atlas of animal bones. For prehistorians, archaeologists and Quaternary geologists.         Knochenatlas. Für Prähistoriker, Archäologen und Quartärgeologen.  Amsterdam,      New York: Elsevier Pub.

Wheeler, Alwyne and Andrew K.G. Jones
1989    Fishes.  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Hesse, B. and P. Wannish.
1985. Animal Bone Archaeology: From Objectives to Analysis. Manuals on Archeology, No. 5. Taraxacum Inc.

Serjeantson, D.
2009. Birds. Cambridge Manuals in Archaeology.  Cambridge University Press

Angela Von Den Driesch
1976 A Guide to the Measurement of Animal Bones from Archaeological Sites
Osteology of Reptiles – Alfred Sherwood Romer, Chicago

Zooarchaeology Reitz and Wing

Human Osteology Tim white et al. Elsevier

Shaffer, Brian S. and Barry Baker
1992 A vertebrate faunal analysis coding system,  University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology
technical report 23

Diane L. France

Human and Nonhuman Bone Identification: A Color Atlas

Adams, Bradley and Pam Crabtree
2011   Comparative Osteology: A Laboratory and Field Guide of Common North American Animals Academic Press

Lee POst

Bone guide to selected land animals of the northwestern states, by

Animal skulls: A guide to North American Species, by Mark Elbroch

Cannon, D. Y. 1987. Marine Fish Osteology: A Manual for Archaeologists. Simon Fraser University Press.

Cohen, A. and D. Serjeantson. 1996. A Manual for the Identification of Bird Bones from Archaeological Sites, revised ed. Archetype Publications, Ltd.

Diane Wallman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Ave, SOC107
Tampa, FL 33620-7200

(813) 974-2138 <tel:%28813%29%20974-2138>