HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:32:55 -0500
Linda,

A few more examples from England ...

... cemetery at Winchester; of the eight skeletons recovered, all of
which were located close to the //cemetery boundary ditch//, only two
were adults, which suggests that the area was being reserved for
children (K.E. Qualmann, pers. comm.).

[J. M. Lilley, 1994:369, The Jewish burial ground at Jewbury, York
Archaeological Trust, Council for British Archaeology]

~~~

... enclosure ditch 152 Enclosures J/K/L ditch gully in subrectangular
enclosure F gully in subrect enc B (?Strat Zone A deposit) late Roman
/cemetery boundary ditch/pit Total of 45 coins chord is short, presaging
the solid cast hooks of Cam.

[East Anglian Archaeology 83:73]

~~~

The /Cemetery Boundary Ditch/In the later medieval period the northern
limit of the monastic cemetery was defined by a ditch (1000/1008/
1345/1424). This is discussed in detail in Chapter 5. Period 2D: The
Monastic Burial Ground (15th century ...

[Excavations at St. James Priory, Bristol, by Reg Jackson, 2006:35]