HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:10:16 -0500
Linda,

The use of ditches as a cemetery boundary is an extremely venerable
tradition in western culture, dating back to at least Roman times in
Britain and western Europe ... a few examples follow ...

Oxoniensia 52, Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, in the Roman
Cemetery excavated at Dorchester, in reference to cemetery boundary
ditches around features:

p. 45 The junction between this enclosure and the /cemetery boundary
ditch/ was sectioned. Both ditch fillings were identical, but where F15
cut F25 the edge was sharply defined and not eroded by weathering. This
appeared to confirm that this small burial enclosure was created after
the main cemetery ditch had filled with silt …

~~~

“…the Queenford cemetery was largely destroyed by modern activity before
archaeologists could examine it. Despite such losses, as many as 164
burials were excavated and analyzed…The dead were interred at a shallow
depth of only two to three feet. Originally all the Queenford graves
were enclosed by a /cemetery boundary ditch/, but later, graves were
placed outside /the boundary/as well.”

[Daily life in Authurian Britain by Deborah J. Shepherd, Greenwood
Press, 2013:95]

~~~

“This is once again the truth, I went through it myself. I was coming
home here in the ditch which surrounds the cemetery, and it was dark.
There was a path in the cemetery – across it – which is where I used to
go. I heard that in /the cemetery ditch/there was some child weeping. I
go over there. I take a look ... as I go to the ditch ... I pay
attention . . . well, someone is crying here! One can hear that
underneath the ground someone is crying! I look around ...”

[Studies on Mythology and Uralic Shamanism, Mihaly Hoppal, 2000
<https://books.google.com/books?id=Fb0oAAAAYAAJ&q=%22cemetery+ditch%22&dq=%22cemetery+ditch%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UbiNVZGQDYO1-QGjjZKYBQ&ved=0CB0Q6AEwADgU>:47]