HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kevin Fogle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 06:09:39 -0700
Good Morning. Andrew Agha and I are putting together a last minute session for the 2016 SHAs in Washington, DC and are looking for a few additional contributors.

Title:
Crops and Culture: The Archaeology of Agricultural Thought.

Abstract:
Plantations in the southeastern United States were established to turn the native landscape into a cash crop. Enslaved and indentured labor made the soil arable, provided Old World cultigens knowledge and expertise, and transformed cleared uplands and improved swamps into profit for the planters over them. While agricultural and botanical ventures are typically used to inform the context of the plantation in time and place, it is seldom used as an interpretive basis for historical archaeologies. The papers in this session demonstrate the importance of examining agricultural discourse as a driving force that shaped not only the land, but also the lives of the laborers that worked it.

We have several papers confirmed and are looking for another two or three papers to fill out the session. If you are interested, please email one of us off-list by Saturday, June 27.

Thanks for your consideration,

Kevin and Andrew

Kevin Fogle
Doctoral Candidate