HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:22:57 -0500
Kim Christensen-Schwartz and I are putting together a last minute session
for SHA 2016. Here is a draft of the session abstract:

Meaningful interpretations: Intersectionality in public narratives about
the past
Using artifacts to tell meaningful stories about people in the past can be
challenging and problematic. The National Historic Preservation Act states
that part of its purpose as defined by Congress is “the historical and
cultural foundations of the Nation should be preserved as a living part of
our community life and development in order to give a sense of orientation
to the American people” (National Register of Historic Places 1997: Section
1 (b) (2 )). Archaeologists have made important strides in recognizing a
diversity of American people in the past. Yet archaeologists have
questioned who is represented in this national voice, and what stories are
remembered and forgotten. On its 50th anniversary, we are seeking
participants to consider the ways they have applied this mission to
interpret places, sites, and objects. How have you examined the
intersections of ethnicity, race, gender, class, and sexuality to tell
stories about the people in the past? How has consultation and the
involvement of descendant communities shaped these narratives? What are the
challenges? What are the best practices that we hope to bring to the
future?

If you are interested in participating in this session, please send an
abstract to one of us by Friday, June 26.

Cheers,

Jodi

--
Jodi Barnes, Ph.D.