HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:56:05 -0500
Chris,

I was wondering what was your take on the aspect of concealment of the
horseshoes? It seems that Lawrence (see the quotation below) may have
provided a clue for some of it; disapproval by the Church would likely
have suppressed quite a bit of public display among Catholic populations
... but what about Protestants? Would ostracism for superstitious
beliefs in the age-of-reason have been a strong and compelling
deterrent/suppressant to public displays of belief in folk magic ...
strong enough to drive the horseshoes from public display, but not from
continued widespread private/concealed use?

"About the year 1850 the Rev. Andrew A. Bonar, who was then assistant
minister in Collace Parish, Perthshire, Scotland, found the custom of
displaying horseshoes on the doors of farm buildings so prevalent that
he thought it his duty to remonstrate against a practice savoring of
paganism. But his efforts in this direction, though hardly crowned with
success, were yet not wholly without avail, for his superstitious
parishioners removed the guardian horse-shoes from the outsides of the
doors, and nailed them up on the insides."  Robert Means Lawrence, The
Magic of the Horse Shoe, 1898.

Bob Skiles