Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 17:31:12 -0500
From Mr Ash -   And finally the ULTIMATE question I pose here is.... Is this change in the law good for all?   That is it a positive thing for both the producer and the consumer?

-------
I think the answer is yes.

First, if we were to impose expensive requirements in the bottling of honey, it would shut down many sources of local honey.  The demand for honey would be significantly larger than the supply.  The consumers price would go up.  We would import more honey.  This is honey that we know often is tans-shipped and has a been found to contain contamination.  Stepping up control of these greater imports would be an expensive endeavor.

Second, the loss of many of the sideliners, and the hobbyists they encourage and mentor, would significantly decrease our pollinator population.

Third, the package bee manufacturers and dealers would be hurt by the lack of demand for packages.

I have little faith in the ability of politicians and bureaucrats to offer reasonable regulations and to enforce them with some insight.  When I attended a meeting with the department of health when Illinois was considering the honey law, it was apparent they had only a remote grasp on the production of honey.  They did know about certified kitchen, but I did not know how to answer when one asked what sterile techniques we used in the beeyard when harvesting our honey.  Did we wash with antibiotic soap before handling removing the frames?  I was not sure how to answer that.  They explained to the beekeepers present that honey was a liquid the same as milk and therefore beekeepers should have the same regulatory restrictions as milk producers.  Again, I was speechless.  We all left the meeting with no middle ground that would cause us to withdraw our support for the new honey bottling legislation.

Larry