From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2015 08:28:48 -0400
Hi all
A lot of people (who should know better) advise against opening hives "too often." What is too often? I suggest to newbees that they should open as often as they like. Here is a relevant quote from 1873:

in a properly
constructed hive and with proper care in handling,
Italian bees can be handled several times
per day without interfering with their labor in
the least. In fact, the queen will keep on laying
right before your eyes with the comb she is on in
your hands, and it is a mistaken notion that bees
must be smothered with smoke before opening
the hive. ... But if through any carelessness
of handling we have aroused them, we have the
smoke on hand and use it. Is any body hurt?
I guess not.