From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:55:57 -0700
" I am referring to storage for HFCS in
stainless to be fed to bees."

Chemically there is no significant difference between HFCS and honey in terms of contained sugars. What differences there are result from honey containing very minor ingredients that give flavor and odor plus tiny amounts of ash and tiny amounts of proteins plus components that make honey acidic.  If anything I would think HFCS would store better than honey as HFCS to my knowledge is not as acidic as honey.  I can not find what I consider a really good source for the pH of HFCS on the web but did find one source that says the pH is about 5.  This is not nearly as acidic as honey.  The conversion of both glucose and fructose to HMF is strongly catalyzed by an acid pH.

In terms of storage temperature the lower the better.  Most chemical reactions double in speed for every ten degrees centigrade increase in temperature.   As honey is at 80 degrees F or higher for long periods in the hive and does not become toxic to bees that would seem a very safe temperature to store HFCS.

Why not contact one of the HFCS manufacturers and ask about plastic versus stainless for storage vessels for long term storage?  They should have data.  I am sure it is shipped in stainless steel trucks.  I bet a call to the Corn Refiners Association would get you a definitive answer.  Here is the phone number:  202-331-1634

Or perhaps the bee lobby should start a movement to get rid of archaic US laws that prohibit imports of sucrose and artificially double US sugar prices.  Sugar on the world market is half the wholesale price found in the US.  Cut the price of sugar in half to where it should be and HFCS is not so attractive.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken