HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:42:23 +1000
Apologies - I've come to this thread somewhat late.

There's a reasonable literature on assigning monetary value to heritage - and/or the value that heritage 'assets' contribute to economy.  For example, the Getty Institute has some online resources on this (such as https://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications_resources/pdf_publications/pdf/econrpt.pdf), the Australian Government reports on economic issues with respect to its World Heritage areas (see: http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/economic-activity-australias-world-heritage-areas ),  etc. etc.  It might be useful to download one or two of these and see if they are of help, or whether works listed in the 'References' sections can lead you to more specific methodologies.

In the past, and prior to the World Heritage listing of the Australian Convict Sites property, the Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority has commissioned reports on the contribution of the Authority (and the sites it manages) to the Tasmanian economy.  These reports are, unfortunately, confidential but the consultants used 'input/output' analysis as a methodology for those studies (see Lennox, GA 1987 Fundamentals of Input/Output Analysis. McGraw Hill, NY).  The reference list in our reports cites other case studies (e.g. Wills, KD 1994 'The heritage valuation of Durham Cathedral', Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 37(3), pp116-132 and there must be more recent works out there that could provide better/improved approaches.  Do you have a keen student somewhere who could do a literature search for you?!

I think it's fair to say that many of these methods and approaches will approach 'value' from a range of viewpoints: with social/cultural capital at one end and simple land/asset valuations at the other.  I guess the trick is to use all of these approaches to demonstrate the complexity of economic values represented in 'heritage assets'.  We may want to rail against mammon but, used judiciously and intelligently, these kinds of valuations can act in favour of heritage conservation.  This is especially the case in the prosecution of arguments that seek to centralise  the importance of heritage as an important, integrated aspect of day-to-day life.

Apologies, starting to rant now!!

Best regards and good luck with the analyses,

David

Dr David Roe

Archaeology Manager

Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority

6973 Arthur Highway

Tasmania 7182

Australia

p 03 6251 2368