HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Hannah Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 22:19:51 -0700
Hello,
I'm trying to ID some mining related features.  Please see
 https://goo.gl/photos/fvaNxV2vSmRVBW1e6

The first two pictures are of the same type of feature.  There were four of
these on one site.  The features consist of two non-ferrous metal wires
coming out of the ground.  The wires are surrounded by hundreds of small
gravels.  Around some of the wires, in addition to the gravels, the soil is
discolored.  There were no associated historical artifacts so I can't give
a date range unfortunately.

The third and fourth pictures are of the same feature.  One picture is the
best eye level picture I could take, the other is satellite imagery of the
feature.  It is eroding down slope, but as you can see it's a fairly large
area (aprox. 2 meters by 5 meters).  The soil is discolored and void of any
vegetation.  There are some larger sandstone slabs around the edge of the
discolored area.  The artifacts around the feature suggest a date range
between the 1910's to 1930's.

These mining features are in southeast Utah, and this project area and its
surrounds have been mined for uranium and to a much lesser extent (only
because this is Charlie Stein country) gold and silver.

Can anyone give me an idea of what's going on here?  It seems to be some
sort of prospecting activity, but I can't say much beyond that.

Thanks so much!

-Hannah Russell

--
Hannah Russell, RPA