From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:28:12 +0100
There is no doubt that we all react differently and that reactions to earlier stings cannot be used as reliable predictors of future reactions.

Perhaps the most usual scenario is that new beekeepers get reactions of varying severity and that these gradually reduce depending on the number and frequency of stings.  In my own case it probably took until the third season before I was relatively comfortable with being stung.

Remember also that there can be an effect from anxiety that something serious might follow a sting.

Back in 2011 we had an excellent talk from one of our members who is an anaesthetist and very knowledgeable about allergy - it was a fascinating evening and questions went on for longer than the lecture - showing that beekeepers can be very concerned about allergic reactions (with good reason of course).

The most serious case that I know of - except for when someone has died - occurred when one of our newer members was stung just walking down the garden.  This caused collapse and the air ambulance crew worked on her for an hour before flying her to hospital.  She was there for three weeks, returned home, collapsed again and was back in hospital for another week,

The PowerPoint from the lecture is here:

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/Newsletters/AllergyAndAnaphylaxis.ppt

I have seen it quoted that around a dozen stings a year are required to maintain immunity once acquired, so now I am wondering whether I should be breeding gentle bees!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W