From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 14:57:43 +0100
> Perhaps one of you beekeepers from the UK could explain "warm way" vs "cold
> way."

I am not sure if any of us know the origin of the terms "warm way" and
"cold way".  I don't know any warm way beekeepers who believes that the
warm way is warmer.  Most of us on this side of the pond have hives that
are square when viewed from above which means that the boxes can be
turned 90 degrees with respect to the floor if preferred.  The cold way
is probably the most popular but I prefer the warm way (frames parallel
to the front and back) because I find it more convenient for handling at
no cost to the bee, although I suspect their behaviour is slightly
modified.  This is particularly so with the way they store pollen.  They
seem to concentrate it either at the front or the back of the nest, so
it's mostly all on one frame.  Some people claim that the nest is
usually at the front of the hive and the pollen and then honey is stored
towards the back but I have not noticed such a regular pattern and often
find the pollen frame at the front.

Steve Rose, North Wales

---