From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 15:51:31 -0500
> Is anyone else on the List paying this sort of attention to the "nest edge" with regard to the use of queen excluders?  Observations?

 All of my colonies are in two deeps. I always check to make sure there is a band of honey over the brood nest and have not ever had the queen go over it into the supers; however, if the brood nest extends to the top of the upper frame during a nectar flow, I place two mediums over the hive bodies. The lower one will have foundation only and the upper pulled wax. They will fill the upper and build wax in the lower. In the interim, the queen has not ever crossed the foundation. If the honey band does not show by the time the foundation is nearly drawn, I reverse the honey supers placing the nearly filled super just over the nest to keep her down. Doesn't happen very often. Works really well for me.