From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 10:08:41 -0400
Hi all

The issues of conservation and preservation of natural resources tend to be dominated by groups with clear agendas, ranging from extreme preservation to extreme exploitation to overly literal scientific interpretations. Somehow, we need to find common ground and resist the temptation to step aside when one or another group dominates the conversation. Several people have delineated a different approach to these problems, including Emma Marris and Brendon Larson:

> The concept of novel ecosystems (CNE) has been proposed as a way to recognize the extent and value of ecosystems that have been irreversibly transformed by human activity. In this sense, the CNE is realistic about ongoing changes that humans are causing and pragmatic about how to manage them now and in the future. It also provides a dramatic contrast with prevailing conceptions, particularly related to invasive species.

> This discussion may appear to rejoice in anthropocentric domination of the planet, but it instead acknowledges a continuum of human effects along with its rejection of the human-nature dichotomy. Some conservationists will even celebrate NE because through them we are bringing new forms of diversity and expression into the world. The acceptance of NE, in this view, requires acceptance of change. It is difficult for us to accept that all things pass and change, yet important to recognize that this is not the same as "anything goes."

New wine and old wineskins? Novel ecosystems and conceptual change (accepted M.S.)
Brendon M. H. Larson
Department of Environment and Resource Studies
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada