HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel B (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:02:32 +0000
Richard,

Well, the original citation was Borstel C.L. and Niquette C. Testing Procedure for Historic Cemeteries. Cultural Resource Analysts, inc.; Lexington, KY, USA: 2000 - which used to be relatively easy to find online, but now all I can seem to locate are articles that use it as a reference. It was taken from a paper that originally appeared in the publication of ACRA (American Cultural Resources Association) in Issue 6-5 from the year 2000, but that issue is not available in their archives, and that appears to have been taken from a paper presented at the Archaeological Society of Virginia's annual meeting on October 3, 1998. The paper is available on Academia https://www.academia.edu/10146132/Arsenic_and_Old_Graves_Testing_Procedures_at_Nineteenth-Century_Cemeteries though it does not include a reference to arsenic presenting as blue green crystals in historic burials.

The notation of arsenic presenting as vivid blue or blue-green crystals does appear on page 40 of this Chicora Foundation report on the excavation of a historic cemetery in South Carolina http://www.chicora.org/pdfs/RS73%20-%20Son%20Cemetery%20compressed.pdf but the reference in the report is to the ACRA paper, and no specific examples are illustrated in the report.

We have no specific examples of arsenic presenting as blue-green crystals from the historic period excavations conducted to date in Kentucky, but we have not encountered high concentrations of arsenic in any of the completed exhumations. In short, the reference appears to come from a single source and currently appears to lack any field verification that I can locate. If however, arsenic were present in such concentrations in a historic period burial that it did appear as a cluster of vivid crystals, we would be looking at a burial that constituted a haz-mat site, which would create a very different set of problems.

I do not see a good means to differentiate vivianite from possible arsenic contamination in the field aside from testing the soils beforehand. I would guess that, if testing shows no contamination of soils by arsenic but blue-green crystals appear on skeletal remains, you may have vivianite. If you do have contamination of soils from arsenic and crystals appear, additional - and very careful - testing of the material should be undertaken to determine its composition.

Fun stuff.

Dan