HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:33:51 -0600
Thanks for your comments, Tim. I've posted this to a couple of the
international coin-collector lists, and everyone there seemed to concur
that it's NOT meant to represent any coin (that any of them have ever
seen ... and that would be MOST of the ones in existence worldwide), so
they concur with you that the word "fake" should not be used.

I'm thinking now that it may be some sort of religious healing
medal/charm/talisman (maybe a Protestant copying of the Catholic saints'
medals ? does anyone know if such ever existed?) ... especially thinking
about the "gamboling calf" motif and harkening-back over a
half-century-ago to a verse from Malachi I once heard a fire-breathing
evangelical preacher invoke as the text for a sermon on healing ... viz
[and, no, I didn't remember this verbatim ... I hadda google-it-up using
only two of the keywords I did remember ... gambol+calves *hee*hee*):

Malachi 4:2 "But unto you who revere and worshipfully fear My name shall
the Sun of Righteousness arise with healing in His wings and His beams,
and you shall go forth and gambol like calves [released] from the stall
and leap for joy."

A friend suggested the "arcane" symbols (on the reverse) kinda look like
"Wicca witchcraft" symbols ... especially the central element which he
says looks like the yin/yang symbol that is commonly used by Wiccans
(and also appears in a LOT of oriental cultures). Whaddaya think? Is
either of these possibilities viable?

I probably shouldn't even mention this, but another friend said he
thought it's probably a dog-tag used at Disneyland (because the creature
looks more like a Disney-esque goofy dog than a calf/bullock) ...
several people have mentioned the Disney-like (comical) appearance of
the creature.

Best regards,

Bob