HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:57:57 -0500
Jefferson,

Ahhh ... I just noticed that your site included ship-building activity
... another alternative is that your artifact MAY also comprise a
babbitt-bearing and form part of a shaft-seal for a propeller-shaft on a
big boat ... or as a part of the packing for the shaft-seal (cast, or
occasionally driven into position around the shaft to provide a babbitt
or "slipping" surface to support the "rod" or shaft, and help keep the
wobble of the shaft from quickly wearing-out the compressible packing
material [like, for example, oakum], with which the "stuffing-box" was
mainly filled ... and allowing steam to escape around the shaft at the
end of the steam-cylinder of a steam-engine ... of the type commonly
used with steam-boats) ... both applications similar to the
"babbitt-sleeve" already described.

    Traditional Babbitt bearings:

In the traditional style of a babbitt metal bearing, a cast iron
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_iron> pillow block
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillow_block_bearing> is assembled as a
loose fit around the shaft, with the shaft in approximately its final
position. The inner face of the cast iron pillow block is often drilled
to form a key <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_%28engineering%29> to
locate the bearing metal as it is cast into place. The shaft is coated
with soot <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soot> as a release agent
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_agent>, the ends of the bearing
are packed with clay <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay>, and molten
metal poured into the cavity around the shaft, initially half filling
the pillow block. The bearing is stripped, and the metal trimmed back to
the top surface of the pillow block. Hardened babbitt metal is soft
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardness> enough to be cut with a knife
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife> or sharp chisel
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisel>.

A steel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel> shim
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shim_%28engineering%29> is inserted to
protect the face of the lower bearing and to space the cap of the pillow
block away from the shaft. After resealing the ends with clay, more
metal is then poured to fill the cap of the pillow block through the
hole in the top of the pillow block cap that will eventually be a
lubrication hole.

The two halves of the bearing are then split at the shim, the oil
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubricant> holes cleared of metal and oil
ways are cut into the surface of the new bearing. The shaft is smeared
with engineer's blue <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_blue>
and rotated in the bearing. When the bearing is disassembled the blue
fills the hollows and is rubbed off the high spots. The high spots are
scraped down, and the process repeated, until a uniform and evenly
distributed pattern of blue shows when the shaft is removed. The bearing
is then cleaned and lubricated, and shimmed up such that the shaft is
held firmly but not binding in the bearing. The bearing is then "run in"
by being run heavily lubricated at low load and revolution, completing
the process of exposing the hard bearing surface. After final adjustment
of the shimming, a very reliable and high load
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force> capability bearing results.

Before the advent of low cost electric motors
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor>, power was distributed
through factories from a central engine via overhead shafts
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_shaft> running in hundreds of
Babbitt bearings.

The expression a "run bearing" also derives from this style of bearing,
since failure of lubrication will lead to heat
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat> build up due to friction
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction> in the bearing, eventually
leading to the bearing metal liquefying and running out of the pillow block.

~~~

You ought to test the metal on the inner (concave) side to see if it is
composed of (or has a residual) babbitt-metal (babbitt would be very
high in tin content) rather than solely or predominantly lead, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy)

Regards,

Bob