From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 23:20:14 +0100
>Yes, Bailey (I think it was in 1966 Journal of Apiculture Research on *The
Effect of Acid-Hydrolyzed Sucrose on Honeybees) * in a study many years ago
found just that. Sucrose was the best overwintering feed with HFCS second
and honey third, for the reason you noted

This is where 'local' comes in, or perhaps more accurately 'weather'.

We have found that, contrary to what many books claim, ling heather honey is an excellent winter food in most years.  In fact, we have only had one winter where it did not result in the best and strongest colonies the following spring.  It is high in protein, so I guess that is the reason why colonies build so well in the early spring.  Of course, a prolonged cold winter and spring make it a problem rather than an advantage for bees.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W