From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:56:50 +1000
On 20/04/2015 10:33 PM, James Fischer wrote:

> The biggest problem with "Flow" is how simple physics will make the
> "Flow" fail to flow. The viscosity of honey increases when it is less
> warm. Some of my fall harvests have been accomplished when there was a
> distinct chill in the air.

This may well be a problem in the colder places of the world. However
the honey would be warm for much of the year as of course the bees keep
the hive at a balmy temp.  Around here, where the bods come from too, it
never gets really cold.

>   the producers hang on the every word of the Ag Extension rep from
> the local land-grant college. In beekeeping, the producers argue with
> the Ag Extension reps, because they think they know better.

We have almost no extension officers here now, but one would be loth to
take advice, in the commercial sense, from them when we had them.  One
problem that they have is that by definition they are not depending on
the decisions they make in their own business.  So don't tend to see
long term effects, for good or ill of decisions. I suspect that this is
more so in Australia because of our year to year variations in
flowering.  I can well remember moving onto a honey flow when the local
beekeeper was moving off.  He had run bees down on a previous flow and
now had to chase pollen, I moved from four hours away off good breeding
conditions.  In the good old days the extension officers spent most of
their useful time in the field working on AFB, and in most cases very
good at it they were.  This meant that we had very low incidence and
many, probably most lifetime beekeepers only ever saw the disease at a
field day as a result.

Geoff Manning