From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:28:46 -0500
Peter and All,
 I agree Peter. I have been a beekeeper for 44 years. I have seen changes that Man has tried to do but failed in the long run.
I bought 2 Russian Breeder Queens ( White Line) for $ 250 each  Introduction was impossible because the workers could not recognize the queen. I contacted Dr. Mark Winston in Canada who is an expert on Queen Pheromones to see if we could figure out the problem. He said no and then sent me 5 pounds of his research paperwork. After going through it I came to understand how complex just that little part of a bee. Too many variable's.
Honeybee Genetics is wonderful at a research center. We learn more and see the trade offs that we have to make to get one trait. In the field it becomes more complex. All queen Breeders have the same problem with having the right drones to cross with the Queen. Nature will find a way to balance what ever we try to do.
 In conclusion: We should have a diverse gene Poole and keep up the importation of semen from old stock like they are doing at WSU. Working with nature is always the best way to go.
Thank You
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries