Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:46:24 -0700
Randy,
I have been weighing bees all year from the samples being sent for virus
screening.   I have been taking six grams of bees and counting the number of
bees needed to make up the six grams.   While there are differences between
wet and dry bees most of the samples are fairly consistent in texture. The
variety of bee does affect the weight, but with repeat samples I have found
consistency in weight.  The bee weight does appear to change with the
seasons and it changes with stress as measured in the viral loads and the
nosema spore counts.   You can track bee weight if you want to.   By the way
the typical bees were around .110 grams each more weight is better and less
is not well.  Bees came in from all over the country.
Dave Wick
Montana

Sent from Dave - BVS, Inc. - (406) 369-4214