Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2015 22:24:27 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
>> One presumes that there is no argument with
>> the USDA ARS on the subject of losses

> The same data, even when published in a different
> venue, will still suffer from the same errors in collection.

So, if some of us are in disagreement with the averages published by the
USDA, what can we offer in the way of a more "realistic" average colony loss
for each year since 2006, and upon what data would it be based?

The existing dataset is not perfect, but no dataset ever is.  We have an
decent estimating of the population of beekeepers, and a fairly accurate
total of the number of hives, and while no one can hope for 100%
participation, or 100% accuracy in reporting among those who participate, is
anyone denying that those who did respond made up a statistically
significant sample of both beekeepers and hives?

The difference between the days of Phillips and the past decade is stark, no
matter how you slice it.

That said, I can't recall anyone at USDA or Bee-Informed ever saying a word
about statistics.
There's so many different methods, it is best to show one's work.