HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Debbie Palk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:08:29 -0700
Dear All,

During site visits for my Masters research I visited the military
graveyard at Fort Willshire. This graveyard is situated in the Great
Fish Nature Reserve in the Eastern Cape, South Africa

At this graveyard every one of the gravestones faced away from the
postion the body was buried. So if you stand at the foot of the grave
they headstone is blank, but if you stand behind the headstone you find
the inscription. These gravestones all date from the beginning of the
19th Century. In addition to this a colleague of mine at the
Bloemfontein Museum, Gerda Coetzee, also came across the same thing in
Afrikaner graveyards dating from the end of the 19th Century to the
beginning of the 20th Century.

Please could you let myself and Gerda know if you have come across
similar instances and what the possible meaning for this phenomena is?
In addition to this I would appreciate it if you could let me know if
their is any literature on the subject

Kind Regards
Debbie Palk
UNISA MA Candidate