HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:56:20 -0400
Blacksmithies are by nature the noisiest, smelliest and whatnot places that one would not expect to contain animal stalls. Custom typically comes in the from door, is worked on outside the building and departs the same way. I'd have to say it's the "never heard of" option. I would hate to use this as a template, but the western movies with a blacksmithy had a back area where the forge was located and a stump with the anvil under a leant and then a street staging area for animal queues, not that there should have been that many.

It is also probable that the animals were habituated to blacksmithies and their incessant racket. I saw a blacksmithy in operation in Cumbria, NW, England that had the blacksmith, his forge, a fore bay and the most unimaginable racket from his own verbiage, the Cumbrian clogs he wore (basically wooden clogs shod with iron U-shaped horseshoe shaped bottoms and this guy could be heard at 100 yards. Towing animals become accustomed to all sorts of loud noises that would spook standard rural draft animals.

Is there evidence for the "holding stall" or is that something that was interpreted from a posthole pattern? Blacksmithies have a wide range of patterns and the "flow pattern" of the doorway as it relates to the work area would be the template for demonstrating a stall.

Lyle Browning, RPA