Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:40:16 -0400
> Ditto. Higes specifically investigated fipronil as the cause of bee
> problems where it had been blamed Spain, and did not find any correlation.

I think that the bee problems were CCD, and it has no correlation with CCD.
It however is a bee killer.

From a EU site:

Regent  ®  for  example  is  6  475  times  more  toxic  than  DDT  for
>  bees.  Regent  ®  is  even
> more  toxic  than  Cruiser  ®  (thiomethoxam,  neonicotinoid)  that  is
>  currently  ban,  which
> is  5  400  more  toxic  than  DDT  (Bonmatin,  2009).  This  is
>  important  to  raise  awareness
> to  the  fact  that  4,2  ng  of  fipronil  kill  a  bee  (oral  toxicity).
> For  more  information  on  acute  toxicity,  chronic  toxicity  of
>  fipronil  and  its  metabolites
> on  bees  see  EFSA  report  on  fipronil,  p7-­‐9(EFSA,  2013).

It was implicated as the real reason for bee issues in France which were
blamed on Imid.  Low doses mirror bee behavior on Imid. Regent (fipronil)
was found to be systemic enough to be found in plants which were soil
treated with it.It was banned by the EU, just like the neonics.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine