HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John M. Foster, RPA" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John M. Foster, RPA
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2014 11:06:54 -0700
Our firm excavated a lot in downtown (late 1880s) Ventura, California and found a fully articulated donkey on what we believe was the original ground surface.  The top of the skull was shattered and had two flattened bullets in the mouth area.  Our interpretation was that the animal was euthanized by two shots to the head.  What was difficult to understand was that the animal didn't appear to be in any pit or that any attempt had been made to cover it up.  We assume it was covered minimally by soil and possibly by lime but certainly the efforts were less than optimum.   The lot next door consisted of a wood frame residence and had several pigs (based on a photograph) and we can surmise that the threshold for some odors was less stringent than what we have today.

John M. Foster, RPA
Greenwood-Associates.com
310.454.3091 tel/fax
310.717.5048 cell